Monday, April 10, 2006

Mexican Protests...

My friends,
If you think that the demonstrations going on across the country have much to do with illegal aliens, you are not even in the ballpark. If you think that most of those demonstrating are illegal aliens, you are wrong. It is about people who work hard and contribute to this country wanting respect. It doesn't matter if they are field workers, social workers, or whatever, that is all they want. Respect from politicians, respect from those whose families immigrated before them, respect from employers, just respect.

Coming from South Texas, where my parents bore the brunt of discrimination through segregated facilities and society, I was relatively unscathed. Isn't it amazing that I have experienced more discrimination working for the government than I did in the private sector. Of course, I am in what is known as the deep South now, but I feel it more from the from those I work for, than the locals (even though every once in awhile, I have to bite my tongue when the old locals start to rattle off).

All I want is what I deserve...

That is all that those in the streets want too.

BT